Monday, October 6, 2008

Reel Artsy


A couple of my favorite movies are Garden State and The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. They're quirky, offbeat and fun. Plus, they feature two of my favorite actresses Natalie Portman and Kate Winslet who are prime examples of women who've built solid careers on playing a smorgasbord of versatile characters.

Which brings me to my latest blogging venture. I started up a new supplemental blog to Think Virtue! called Reel Artsy where I will spotlight quirky films by minority filmmakers. I'll be posting short summaries/reviews of cool films that I think are noteworthy. It will include trailers and links to film festivals and such. And at some point I'm hoping to do some brief interviews with the indie filmmakers who are producing these kind of movies.

I'll be covering...black films, Latino films, Arab films, biracial films, Deaf Culture films, Asian films, Native American films, Christian films, experimental films and pretty much anything that aspires to do something a little "outside of the box."

If this sounds like something you're interested in then head over to http://reelartsy.blogspot.com and check out the Bollywood film Drona that I saw in theaters this weekend.

By the way, if you look at my sidebar you'll see that I added a widget that updates you with the latest Reel Artsy posts.

4 comments:

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

What a great idea! I love indie films so I'll definitely check it out!! :-)

J.M. said...

YAY! I love this idea and I love that you articulately tackle your many interests with many blogs. I will be your newly addicted reader..:)

So, I'm not techy and so not aware of this blog stuff. If I comment back on my blog to a comment you left, do you know that I do that? Because at this rate I find your awesome comments days later because I didn't even know you left them. :( Thanks for the supportive and kind words. Makes it fun.

Yes I'm on myspace (/peaceandhappiness) but I use Facebook more regularly. Are you on there?

I love the quotes from the "Crafting Short Screenplays" book! I'll so have to check it out. Thanks for sharing. I'm really on the fence right now in terms of where I'm heading..Writing and film is in my family and my mom is a screenwriter and producer but human rights and education is what makes me feel alive...

I love quirky independents so including people of color in the mix is so very awesome. Are you working in film now or in school?

Great posts this week & always!

Karen said...

Martine, if you click on the little box that says "email follow-up comments" then you'll be able to be updated on new responses. But sometimes I forget about that option when I visit other people's blogs.

J.M. said...

Thanks! Exactly, somehow that little box evades my notice when posting on other blogs. Lol.