Monday, September 29, 2008

The 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games


I wish the Paralympics got more media attention in the United States. I was only able to catch some repeats of wheelchair basketball on Canadian TV (CBC) and get updates online.

How can our country so easily ignore its athletes with disabilities? They train just as hard as anyone else and they're competing on a world level. It takes devotion and sacrifice to get where they are and the general public should have a chance to be inspired by some of their stories.

Even though the Paralympics took place Sept. 6 - 17th, The New York Times reports that:

"As for conventional television coverage, none will be seen in the United States until Oct. 8, when NBC’s cable sports channel, Universal Sports TV, will broadcast three hours of programming for seven days. Those shows will consist of highlights and features on particularly compelling athletes."



Couldn't they have at least broadcasted some of the events live? Or what about airing it on basic cable channels?

America needs to remodel their strategy when it comes to the Paralympics because the current plan is a real disservice.

What are your thoughts on it?

***

By the way, check out the trailer for Murderball. The U.S. wheelchair rugby team won the gold medal this year.

3 comments:

Aaron Aberg said...

America doesn't care about Paralympics for the same reason that they avoid senior citizens: No one wants to admit that they can become that.

Americans want to believe that an athlete should have all their appendages (and that their appendages work) and be of sound mind and body.

To think that some who is disabled could be an athlete would be to think out side of the "box."

I didn't watch any of the Olympics, maybe 3 or 4 min here or there so my excuse is that I thought Paralympics took place at a different event. To be honest though, if I was interested in watching sports, I probably would choose to watch the Olympics over watching the Paralympics anyway. Probably for the same reason I mentioned above.

Anonymous said...

Several years ago I had a wonderful time working as a volunteer for the Special Olympics. I realize it's not the same as the paraolympics, but all disabled people touch a chord with me I guess because I'm deaf.

Agree with triple threat to a certain extent, but I don't think it's just Americans who don't want to be reminded of people with disabilities. At least we have the ADA here. We still have a long way to go. In the meantime I think it's fantastic that you're blogging and making others aware! We can only change the world one small act at a time.

Karen said...

Maybe America doesn't care, but I do. I understand that sometimes it's hard to watch certain news stories and to be bombarded by images of people living in poverty and sickness. Those kind of realities aren't easy to process. They weigh on our hearts and remind us that life isn't as fair as we want it to be. It's a tough pill to swallow.

Triple Threat, thanks for your honest comments I appreciate it.

Kim, thanks for stopping by.